Monday, March 08, 2010

Bull Doze Blues

I've been listening to Henry Thomas, a 1920s bluesman.



Bull Doze Blues. I was pointed to it by a reference to Canned Heat. Isn't Going Up Country oddly similar?



I'm classing it as an hommage rather than a rip-off, as Canned Heat's hearts always seemed to be in the right place.

You know what both of them remind me of?

Mungo Jerry's In The Summertime.



And that always reminds me of:



The Mixture's Pushbike Song.


From country blues progenitor to the lightest of throwaway summer pop. Guess which artist I spent a few minutes chasing down on teh interwebs last night?

Ans.: Henry Thomas.

3 comments:

roldo said...

You might find it interesting to check out the track "Henry Thomas" on the Lovin' Spoonful's "Hums" album - I think its on youtoob too. Yeah I think Owl's version was an homage - the flute is playing the exact quills line. I did dig how he took part of that for a bit of extra vocal.

roldo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lyle Hopwood said...

OK, I'll do that. Thanks!

I've been enjoying my listening over the past few days.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.