Saturday, August 02, 2014

Wikipedia corner - fascinating facts division

I came across this assertion this morning:

Cleopatra lived closer to the time of Star Wars than the time of the building of the pyramids.

Of course I dived over to Wikipedia, to find that Cleopatra lived until August 12th of 30 BC and the Great Pyramid was built  "over a 10 to 20-year period concluding around 2560 BC".

So, it's true. Cleopatra's reign was closer to Queen Elizabeth II's than to Khufu (who had the Great Pyramid built).

But the Wikipedia article on Khufu's pyramid is stuffed with facts more exciting than that one. Try this - it'll knock your socks off!
There have been varying scientific and alternative theories about the Great Pyramid's construction techniques. Most accepted construction hypotheses are based on the idea that it was built by moving huge stones from a quarry and dragging and lifting them into place.



Heck, really? Hard-hitting stuff!



(This is obviously a picture of Djoser's pyramid (ca. 2650 BC, and therefore even older) but my pictures of the Great Pyramid aren't any good because it was a regular camera lens and the Great Pyramid is humongous.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.